As you may be aware, the Allegheny County Department of Emergency Services, as of April 2, 2020, has reported that the Township has eight (8) COVID-19 cases. Overall, the County is reporting 419 total cases of which 70 persons are hospitalized and 2 have passed away. As we all know, things always seem to have to get worse before they get better. This is definitely going to be the case with the Coronavirus. The next three (3) weeks are going to be very difficult and it would not be a surprise to see the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths in Allegheny County increase four (4) to five (5) fold. However, there is light that we can see at the end of the tunnel. Sometime in the last two (2) weeks of April, we should start to see the number of cases reported on a daily basis in Pennsylvania begin to decrease and hopefully by mid-May, the worst will be behind us.
So, what can you do in the meantime as we wait out this health crisis together? Remember the following:
- AVOID social gatherings
- If you feel sick, stay home! Also, don’t go to work unless you have to
- If someone in your household has tested positive for Coronavirus, please keep the ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD at home and self-quarantine. Contact your medical provider or 1-877-PA-Health to discuss your exposure
- If you are older (sixty-five (65) years of age or older) or a person with a serious underlying health condition, stay home as much as possible,
and, most importantly…
- PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE:
- Wash your hands, especially after touching surfaces
- Try to avoid touching your face
- Sneeze and/or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow
- Disinfect frequently used items (i.e. your cell phone) and surfaces as much as possible
For more information regarding the Coronavirus and the role that you can play to slow the spread of COVID-19, visit Coronavirus.gov or health.pa.gov
A separate but yet somewhat related matter, should you need information regarding what is or is not included in the Federal Stimulus Package on other government assistance programs, visit https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/spending/T063-S001-ways-the-stimulus-package-could-help-you-in-2020/index.html . This information is made available by the Kiplinger Group, who is a leader in personal finance news and business forecasting.
Be smart, stay at home as much as possible, and stay safe!
W. Christopher Lochner, Municipal Manager
Township of Hampton