How do I go about getting a conditional use permit?

Property in the Township of Hampton is divided into several zoning districts with classifications such as conservation, residential, industrial, or commercial. Different districts have different stipulations as to what type of uses are permitted. When a property owner wishes to establish a use that is not considered a permitted use but is listed as a Conditional Use, they may apply to the Township of Hampton for Conditional Use approval.

Conditional Uses are uses on a property that may be granted by the Township Council after receiving recommendations from the Township's Environmental Advisory Council and Planning Commission after a public hearing has been conducted. The conditions for use must still abide by the Comprehensive Plan of the Township, avoid incompatible land uses, and serve the interests of the surrounding community. The Planning and Zoning Department can advise you as to which uses will require Conditional Use approval.

Please contact the Department of Community Development for the most current fee schedule. The application will go through the Township review process which requires it to be placed on the agenda for the Environmental Advisory Council (EAC), the Planning Commission and Township Council, which includes a Public Hearing. The EAC meetings are usually held on the first Monday of each month, Planning Commission on the second Monday and Council Meetings on the second and fourth Wednesday of the Month. The EAC and Planning Commission meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. and the Township Council meetings begin at 7:30 p.m. All meeting are held at the Municipal Building, 3101 McCully Road and are open to the public. It is strongly recommended that you attend your hearing to answer potential questions or concerns that you may have. For more information or to receive a Conditional Use application, contact the Township of Hampton Planning and Zoning Department located at 3101 McCully Road, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call them at 412-486-0400 Extension 1307.

Show All Answers

1. What is the process for obtaining a building permit?
2. What types of structures require a permit?
3. How long will it take to get an answer on my permit application?
4. Will I need engineered plans?
5. Can I use a hard top / retractable / auto cover instead of a fence for my in-ground pool?
6. Do I need a permit to install or improve a driveway or patio?
7. Can I get a verbal answer on my plans?
8. What do I need if I'm putting a fence on my property?
9. How do I schedule a building inspection?
10. Can I have chickens on my property?
11. What do I need if I'm putting in a pool or hot tub?
12. What do I need if I have to do excavation on my property?
13. How do I get a demolition permit?
14. How do I go about getting a conditional use permit?